Thursday, November 29, 2012

My 8 LEAST favorite words of the day

So at some point there needs to be a post about how awesome my family and friends are and how I had such a nice thanksgiving and birthday because the people I love are incredible. But this is not that post. Because I really should be studying. But since this kind of relates to school, I'm granting myself a few minutes to share with you a list of words...that I really hate. I might not even explain some of them. I think you'll understand.

This list was inspired by reading the chapter on brain development in my textbook. I literally do not know of any other topic that has so many disgusting sounding words. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that we develop past the initial ball of cells. I just don't love the way someone labeled that process. Here goes!

8. nascent:  I actually really like the meaning of this one. "just coming into existence; displaying signs of future potential."  That's beautiful. But that word sounds like someone has a bad case of nasal drip.

7. angiosperm: this has very little to do with brain development but it was used in an analogy and I've decided I'm just not a fan of a word that combines a female's name with the name for reproductive cells. Actually, I'm not a fan of really any word combined with sperm.

6. mesoderm: this one is high on the list, meaning I don't hate hate hate it. And that's because it kind of sounds like a dinosaur. But not enough for me to really enjoy saying or reading it.

5. optic cups: while the definition of this may be self-explanatory, its placement on this list may be a little less obvious. It just makes me think of an eyeball rolling around in a plastic cup. So yeah...ew.

4. gastrulation: I read this word and I pictured gastric juices and intestines undulating together. In reality, it just refers to a single-layered ball of cells becoming a triple-layered ball of cells (including, you guessed it, #6 the mesoderm!)

3. neurulation:  despite my love of all thing "neuro" (neuropsychology, neuroanatomy, neurodegeneration, etc), I don't like the "o" being turned into a "u". again, reminds me of undulation. which is also not a favorite word of mine.

2. cephalic flexure:  this is kind of a cool concept...it's when the early brain bends for the first time, which occurs at the mid-brain. it's what lets embryos look a bit like upside-down seahorses. nonetheless, I don't enjoy saying, reading or hearing the word cephalic.

and my current #1 LEAST favorite word...................

1. invagination:  EW. I may be basically 8 years old but I just do not like that. The term refers to when one part of a structure is infolded into another part. So I want to know, why couldn't we just say that then? "Gastrulation begins as the local infolding of a subset of cells in the very early embryo."  That totally works. I'll start a petition.


Ok, now it's probably time to actually study...instead of fake study...which is what this is. But thank you of reading!  I hope you kind of enjoyed my dislike of words regarding development. By the way, in case I don't always make it very clear through my posting, I am actually learning a lot here in grad school. And I love it :)

Happy almost Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment