Monday, January 7, 2013

Paying for pain. Or art. Or both.

I guess it was last fall that I started thinking about getting this tattoo. Prior to that I never really pictured myself actively seeking out someone to stick me with a needle...multiple times. And if I ever did, I imagined the result would be a really cool looking dinosaur or neuron (neither of which are totally out of the question, by the way), but here I am...23-years old and I just let some guy ink my foot...nay, I paid some guy to ink my foot. And I'm not at all upset about it.  Actually, it feels very normal now to have it be a part of me.

The tat:
It's the danish phrase "mine helte", which means my heroes, and in between the two words is an infinity sign. Originally I wanted my last name somewhere in the tattoo as well (I'll straight up admit I love my last name and it seemed like a really good way to connect to that part of my family), but that was all a little too complicated for the size I wanted so I simplified it.

The backstory:
When I was in Denmark I sent some postcards home to my family. One of them was a picture of a dad, decked out in a normal business suit and a tie....and a cape. And he was flying. Hence, he was a super hero. It said
"fa, du er min helt."       =       "Dad, you are my hero."

Ok, I'll admit the original postcard was in swedish. Because I had bought it in Sweden. But Denmark is closer to my heart so I just switched it.

Initially I wanted that phrase, written into an infinity sign, because I always want to remember how he and his love transcend this life and even though we no longer have him here, he was, still is and always will be my hero.

Well, in the simplifying of the design I realized that I wanted it to be about my whole family, because I cannot express how much they mean to me and how grateful I am for the way we have all dealt with this year together.  So now the phrase is plural (my heroes) and my hope is that it will always remind me where my priorities lie--- with the people I love and doing things that will make them proud and show them I love them.

Every single time I've looked at my foot in the past few days (I had it done last Thursday) I've literally thought "holy *********, I have a tattoo!!"  But each time it makes me smile and I have to tell you, I didn't even cry while I was getting it!! I maybe did sweat a lot. Actually, yeah I really did sweat a lot. Mostly my hands. And the foot that was being inked. So that was weird. But I may have been trying to impress someone so I think that was what kept the tears at bay. I will say that it was a bit of an adrenaline rush...but don't take that to mean it didn't hurt. Because it did. It totally did.

And on another, and completely unrelated, note, I've already treated myself to a slightly ridiculous amount of new music this year. Maybe that should've been one of my resolutions: buy lots of awesome new music. Because then I'd feel not only totally justified but also really successful with how many songs I've bought on iTunes just this week. Here's one of my faves:  (it's from the soundtrack of a favorite movie as well)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JA25au7Itw

I have a few other amusing stories from this week but this is already a pretty action packed post so I'll leave it be for now.

Happy first full week of 2013 :)









No comments:

Post a Comment