Sunday, December 19, 2010

Welcome to my blog!

Since I have a few days here to relax/recover from getting my wisdom teeth removed, I figured this would be the perfect time to get my blog ready for my upcoming adventure. In 27 days (on Jan. 15th) I will be departing the U.S. and flying to Copenhagen, Denmark where I will live and study for the following 4 months. On one hand I have been anxiously awaiting this since last year when I finally got the email saying Knox was cool with me heading off to study in a foreign country. On the other hand... now that it's nearly here, (pardon the cliche) I can't believe this is really happening. In less than a month I will be living with a Danish family and going to classes in downtown Copenhagen. My head is swirling at the thought of it (although that might have something to do with those pain meds I've been taking for the last few days). Even though I am incredibly excited, I can't deny the fact that I will inevitably make (a lot of) stupid mistakes and I might even sometimes wish I was back in cozy Post Hall of Knox College with all my familiar friends. Bear with me if any of my posts reflect feelings such as these- I know they will pass and I am very optimistic that at the end of my trip I will not regret any of it. Nevertheless I am bound to have a few of those days where I fall off my bike into the mud while it's raining or I offend a Dane by saying something completely American and want to curl up in a dirt hole or I unknowingly order a $20 hot chocolate or I can't find my way to my first class and end up arriving late (which I hate doing) and embarrass myself in front of all my classmates. Yeah, those days are bound to happen. But the way I see it, those situations are all just a part of the experience and I might as well just take them with a smile. Let's hope that philosophy lasts longer than the many-hour plane ride it will take for me to get over there :)
I'm going to write separate posts all about DIS and the classes I plan on taking so I will wrap up this little introduction. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave me questions or comments anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment