Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Windshield washing

Straight from my random thoughts journal:

"I hope road trips don't go out of style, because of gas prices and all.  I want to eventually be able to take my family on road trips. Also, always wash the windshield when you stop to get gas."

That's actually my favorite part. Washing the windshield. When I was little and we'd be driving to Grandma's or a vacation, or really anywhere further away than central Iowa, I remember dad washing the windshield when we'd stop to get gas. And in my little kid eyes, it looked like magic. He was so precise and it was always spotless when he finished. I really have no idea where my obsession with this action came from, but I vividly remember being entranced as he scrubbed the windshield and then dried it, row by row, one half of the windshield and then the other, pausing to shake the water off the squeegee thing after every row. I just loved how spotless it made my view. Everything looked so much brighter and more pleasant after my dad was done with it. Right about now I could definitely go into a really lovely metaphor about how washing our metaphorical windshield can make life look brighter. But I won't. Because that was never my intention. I literally just wanted to remind myself to wash the actual windshield and to enjoy the car rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment