Sunday, February 27, 2011

Home

I was trying to think of a good way to start this blog and I found one! So...before you read any further you MUST watch this video.
Absolutely adorable acoustic version of Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Did you watch it? If not, you really should go watch it. It's worth it. I promise.

If you want to be really awesome...listen to the regular version of this song while reading this post. Ready, set, GO  Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Okay, now I can start.  Thanks for abiding by my wishes :)

I simply cannot believe how quickly time is flying.  Six weeks ago I was spending my first night in what is now my home.  On one hand it feels like all the days have mashed together to just be one really long day of adventures, pastries, and a tiny bit of schoolwork.  But on the other hand it feels like a lifetime ago that I was sitting in my pink, purple and teal room in Newton packing my suitcases and saying good-bye to my life there.  The other day I was saying something to Karina and Jesper about what we did "...back in the states."  Ha, I immediately realized how funny it sounded, but then Karina pointed out that "...it's because this has become your home."  I couldn't have said it better.  Not only do I already have wonderful homes both in Newton and at Knox, but now I am fortunate enough to constantly have a Danish home with four amazing Danes to talk to, get homework help from, laugh with and experience hygge with.  I told Karina and Jesper today that they all deserved an award for "host family who endured freezing temperatures just to show Rachel a beautiful beach"...and that is only one of the many awesome things they have done for me.  I better stop spilling my gushy feelings now and get on with the details. Never fear, I am sure I will return to the gushiness many more times in coming blogs.

I wish that I were able to make this more interesting than just laying out my week but each day had things I want to write about and if I don't organize it I will get all jambled and that won't be fun for either of us.  At least not for me...though it might be somewhat amusing for you. Nonetheless, here goes:

Outside view of the school.  It is situated right in the middle of a charming neighborhood.  White building with fun light and dark green stripes. Doesn't look much like the schools back in the states :P
Wednesday:  The morning started with a field trip with my Developmental Neuropsychology class to a special school in Gentofte (picture above).  It is a school for special needs students from kindergarten-undetermined (they stay until they are ready to move on to the next stage of life, which also varies for all of them). Their needs cover a very wide range, so students with physical disabilities can learn in a class with students dealing with ADHD and so on and so forth. The purpose of this is diversity and community. A student with social impairments may learn a lot from a highly sociable but learning disabled student.  The students stay with their classmates from year to year too and they end up forming very close friendships (that is the same as throughout the rest of Denmark too actually).  We met a few charming students who answered our questions, gave us tours of the school and generally made us laugh a lot.  Interesting fact: this school is paid for by the municipality because Denmark believes having a special needs child should not be an extra financial burden on the parent.  Children can receive this special education and be in this wonderful environment because of the whole community.  I think that is pretty darn cool.  On the way out the door I even got a massive bear hug from one of the students, who apparently was a Scandanavian wrestling champion.  All in all I'd say it was a very good trip.



After that trip I headed to my next field study at Christiania.

'
Map of Christinia (the dark green is the actual land they own)
Christiania is a free state that was founded in 1971 by some homeless bohemian hippies.  It is a very free spirited place where they pay taxes and they pay a "using fee" for the land, but they don't pay rent. Whether they build a house on 5 meters or 100 meters, the using fee is the same.  There are not many rules in Christiania, but they are strict about the ones they do have.  The main ones are No Hard Drugs, No Violence,  No Cars, No Weapons and No Bulletproof Vests.
I'm sorry it's hard to read. Tilt your head a bit and the pictures might make a little sense.  
We had a fascinating tour guide who has been there since about 1977 so we heard lots of funny stories.  There is one street in Christiania where you are not allowed to take pictures. It is called pusher street and you don't even have to get that close to it before you smell the distinct odor of pot. Marijuana is "legal" there so people have stands with weed and pipes (or whatever you smoke pot with) just out for all to see.  It is rather amusing even if you have no intentions of becoming a customer.  The whole feel of Christiania is chill, laid-back and yet you know the people (more at least most of them) are very responsible for the life they lead in this odd little 'free state'.  Some of the people who live there work in Copenhagen or a surrounding town and lead a regular life. Some people work in Christiania at the markets, metalsmithing place, or a coffeshop or restaurant.  Some people sit on their butts and smoke weed all day.  But what an interesting mix of people this place brings together.  Apparently the court just recently made the decision to shut down Christiania. Basically that means (I think) they will put the land up for sale and then if they can afford to keep it they can keep it but if not they will lose it.  I personally think that is a huge shame. Christinia is the second largest tourist attraction in Denmark and it really has come to symbolize much of Denmark and Danish values and ideals.  Here are a few more pictures for your occipital pleasure.

Just a fun friend for the top of your stove

Random art found outside

This building, translated, is called The Flea because a large flea market used to be held here. Now there are lots of concerts and other events for hip young people (like me!)

Just a normal old sign for the business in this building...painted on the brick wall

Free clothes anyone?  Why thank you, I was just getting tired of my own.


I have already been at this blog for about an hour and I only got through one day...and now I'm nodding off at my computer.  Uh oh.  I have so much more to ramble on about but I think I'll have to wait until I have another moment to catch my breath...so talk to you again in May.  Haha just kidding.  Here is a preview for what I will write about in the next day or two:
New hat and danish candy :)
Bike ride around Copenhagen with my European Urban Design Theories class
Andreas and his friends's massive rave-like birthday party
Today's beach walk and traditional Danish food at a brunch I got to tag along to
There will also be some really fantastic pictures to accompany those stories, just so you know :)

Godnat for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment