Monday, February 7, 2011

The newest news

Yesterday I had a full day of classes but was well aware that when I started my 2:50 class, my father would be having brain surgery.  There was absolutely nothing I could do so I focused on 20th and 21st Danish Architecture as much as I could.  After that class I was supposed to have a cooking class focusing on Danish breakfasts and lunches.  For whatever reason we were unable to get into the building DIS was renting out for the class. We all stood outside for nearly an hour before deciding we would reschedule.  From there I made the trek home (stopping briefly for McDonalds because I was very hungry).

Immediately when I got home I did all the regular checks of email, facebook and skype.  I had many encouraging notes from friends and I had a message from Abby saying we could talk on Skype whenever I was ready.  I cannot say how grateful I am for the technology that enables us to videochat. I was able to see Mom and Abby and all the wonderful friends and family that were in the hospital waiting room with them.  I thank you all for taking time out of your lives to be with my family.  They told me the good news:  The surgery went well and Dad's mental functions are much improved from the day before when the tumor was causing all sorts of funky things to happen.  Then they told me the bad news:  The doctor was unable to get all of it because it is so intertwined with brain tissue and the cancer is at a very developed stage.  The way my mom said it was "Stage 1 is what you want, stage 4 is what you don't want. The doctor is wavering between whether it is stage 3 or stage 4."  This is not good news, but somehow when Abby and Mom told me the news they managed to be so positive about it that I didn't grasp right away what it meant.  As far as we know, Dad will recover from the surgery and then begin Chemo and Radiation treatments. The purpose of those is to kick that tumor's ass and make sure it doesn't come back. There are good things about the situation:  Dad has stayed very active and is an incredibly strong (and stubborn) person; every day new research is discovering things about brain cancer so there are treatments available to help him; he is still in good spirits and is surrounded by great people.
I now have two realities.  Here at DIS I have to carry on with classes and function in my everyday Denmark life.  Only one of my professor's here knows what is going on, so it's as if around everyone else I have to pretend as if nothing is wrong.  My computer is my other reality. This is how I am staying connected to my family and everything that is going on. Abby is doing an excellent job of taking videos and pictures to keep me in the loop.  Later today I hope to skype with my dad. Better get to class now.
Thanks again for all the prayers and thoughts.  Love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. We're praying for your dad, Rachel, and we're keeping you in our prayers as well. I know how difficult it is to be away when things are happening back home. May God's Holy Spirit be your constant companion.

    ReplyDelete