Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Jambled

I woke up this morning to an email from my mom and a facebook message from my sister.  They had a terrifying experience, all while I was asleep.  That is the strangest feeling: knowing something serious happened and was over all before you had any idea.  I didn't realize how often I would have that feeling just because I am 7 hours ahead in the space-time continuum (or at least in the time-zone continuum).  Even though they are keeping me as updated as possible, it is definitely not like being there to know what is going on.
Anyway, I have yet to hear the whole story but from what I know shortly after I got to see and talk to Dad on skype (which was so wonderful) he woke from a nap moaning in pain and clutching his head.  My mom convinced the nurse this was not normal so they did a CT scan. They had gotten him back to his room, in bed when the doctor called and said they needed him back in surgery STAT.  Holy crap. I cannot believe how scary this must have been for all of them.  After the surgery the doctor explained that there had been a blood clot in his brain and they had been able  to fix it.  I honestly cannot imagine the sense of relief that came with that especially since it followed such an intense wait of not knowing what was going on.  Of course, I am hearing about this after it was all said and done but I was even really worked up from just reading about it, so it obviously was a very stressful situation.  They got to see dad afterwards and said that was wonderful.  What a roller coaster of both trauma and relief.

A few years ago when I had to pay the ER a visit because of a severe asthma attack my sister described the morning as "We got the call and we were all just jambled, trying to throw on clothes and get out the door."  Jambled has become our word to use when we simply can't describe the chaos surrounding us.  My mom used that word in her email to me.  I hope none of us ever feel that jambled again.

I talked to the family a few times this evening but will wait until tomorrow to skype with them.  I know everyone is taking very good care of them and again, I am so thankful.  I was able to have a few friends over to the house tonight and we made pizza and had a very hyggeligt evening (complete with candles and a few goofy tv shows).  I did tell them what was going on and they were so supportive.  It is hard to tell people here in Denmark because I hate to throw all of this at them-- I realize it can be hard to know how to respond.  Advice: the hugs and smiles are a good way to go if you are ever in that situation. Now it is nice to have people here who know and understand why I have been unable to do homework the past 4 days and why I may not feel like going out at all in the near future.  Just having a few friends to ask how you are doing and to actually care about the response is priceless.  Oh, and the pizza and Danish candy were also a nice source of comfort.

As always, every adventure has twists and turns and ups and downs.  The best thing to do is stick together and ride the ride with a positive outlook.  I sincerely think a strong spirit and positive attitude can do wonders.

Tusind tak for everything and I will keep the updates coming.
Much love.
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment