Thursday, March 31, 2011

So...

We got back to Copenhagen late Friday night and my wonderful host dad picked me up at the train station.  I spent the weekend unpacking, making my Milan movie (see previous post) and catching up on some homework.  Sunday I visited the 8-tallet again with Erin (friend from previous duck adventure); we are in a group together to present about the building, so we needed to see it , touch it, take pictures and so on.

Not the best view, but I love the crazy angles within each apartment. 

It was a beautiful sunny day and it was pretty fun to explore the area again.  I think the 8-tallet is a pretty controversial housing development.  I have decided that I love it, but Erin has the opposite opinion, which is also very valid because it does have quite a few disadvantages.  The idea of it was to take the components of a neighborhood (businesses, residences and recreation) and put them all in a sustainable development.  It does not provide much privacy and is very open to the public, especially since it is so new and revolutionary so it is quite a tourist attraction.  The whole building is made of aluminum, wood and glass, so it does have a somewhat cold feel.  I think all of that is worth how beautiful the inside of the residences are and what a great view they have.  It is maybe not a place I’d like to live my whole life, but I could definitely see myself living in a building like that (if it wasn’t, you know, in Copenhagen) for a few years.  Anyway, Monday was our presentation on the building so I have learned quite a bit about the Architectural Vision of the development and the Urban Context it is in.

The week after the return from Milan was fairly normal except much busier with work than most of my other weeks have been.  In the midst of working on my psychology paper, the slides for my 8-tallet presentation, an assignment for my Austrian Architecture class, homework for Danish language, and our big intervention plan project for psych, I finalized plans to visit Hannah in Scotland.

Friday was my host sister, Rebecca’s, 10th birthday.  We had a great dinner with family and friends: I cannot get over how much I love the Danish birthday food.  I think I have to bring the layer cake tradition back to my Iowa family.

Saturday was an absolutely beautiful day…and I spent all of it at DIS working on group projects L  But eventually we finished the dreaded projects and then came Sunday which was an awesome and fun-filled day.  Aaaaaaaaand, I’ll get back to that later.  Sorry!    

No comments:

Post a Comment