Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Life of flies

So I'm studying, like any good graduate student, and I open my window because, well basically it feels like summer out. But also, it's October. Meaning my window has not been open in weeks. I go back to studying, window open, nice night air blowing in and I realize there are two ridiculously excited flies buzzing around my room. Apparently, from what I can gather, they had gotten stuck in between my window and my screen. For weeks. And they were not happy when they got out. It was like a 2nd grader who had been stuck in his desk for too long and then the recess bell rang. Amusing, but almost scary. So I drop my studying (who can focus with two hyper flies taking over the room?) and I'm swatting at them with my classy yellow legal pad. But they're flies. And they have a million eyes so I can't get them. Giving up, I return to my study of the molecular mechanisms of the auditory sense. Before I know it, one fly is in hot pursuit of the other. He/she chases the other he/she into my light fixture. Here's when it gets weird. They buzz around in circles as though they are the coins that kids drop into the fun circular donation tub where you watch it spin around and around until finally plunking into the bucket. And then you do it again (giving them more money) just because you like to watch it spin. And then the first he/she fly tackles the other one! And the previously excitable rhythmic buzzing noise becomes a very odd, stable buzz that dies out. Not quickly though. Rather slowly, in fact. And basically I'm pretty sure they both fried on my light bulbs because the buzzing finally stopped altogether but I am not about to stand up on my bed just to check out the state of that couple. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Obviously I'm kind of procrastinating now, but based on the number of things I could add to this post, I'd say I'm using up most of my self control by only writing about that little story.  Someday I will write about my trip to New Orleans, the graduate student reception where I danced with neuroscientists for 2 hours straight and then my trip to Galesburg for homecoming. Someday. In the meantime, enjoy the summer-y weather tomorrow!

PS. The post title is in reference to the book and soon-to-be-in-theatres movie Life of Pi. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment