Monday, October 1, 2012

So you can teach an old...Rachel new tricks

In all fairness, I realize I am not exactly old and it is maybe a little silly to implicitly refer to myself as a dog, but stick with me. The metaphor fits. I think.

Tonight I learned 3 new ballroom moves within 30 minutes. I had grown so accustomed to only dancing the moves I already knew because in the last 2 years because I have not had a ballroom lesson taught by anyone other than, well...me. I signed up for the Intermediate American Smooth lesson with the Hawkeye Ballroom Dance Co on Monday evenings, and this was actually the first Monday that I've been able to make it. When the lesson started and he announced we'd quickly review the 2 new moves from last week and then learn a new one, I got that little panicky feeling of "Everyone knows these moves and, of course, I've never even heard of them!" My palms probably got a little sweaty but I geared up to  learn them as best I could. And what do you know, it appears Rachel has her groove back because I picked them up immediately and furthermore, totally fell in love with them. The 3 new moves were in Waltz and I had just forgotten how much I love gliding across the floor, feeling (even if it's mostly a self-bias) rather graceful. It truly is rewarding to gain fluency in a particular move or step and then it's even more rewarding to be able to silently cooperate with another person to make that move even more beautiful.  And that is what a lot of tonight felt like. And then there was that old guy who was honestly just adorable and was so happy to be dancing that I didn't even care our feet weren't lined up and our rhythm was a little off.  More power to him :)

I feel a bit lame for the shortness of this post but I am trying to take care of myself so these allergies don't have as much of a chance against my immune system, so I suppose I better get to bed.  More to come soon.  My life is bound to be interesting enough in the next few days that I'm sure I'll be inclined to fill you in. Tusind tak for reading!

Goodnight, moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment