Monday, August 13, 2012

Today's agenda

Today's Agenda: Monday, Orientation Week

-Official first meeting with program director and fellow incoming students. Status: Check

-Keep myself busy/maybe be productive between meetings. Status: In progress.
Here's what I've done thus far.
           Ate lunch in hospital lobby, tried to get connected to internet to work on this online class I need to complete. Failed- no internet connection.
          Sat in a coffee shop, drank iced tea and started the class. But then I got hungry and felt it would be inappropriate to eat my homemade sandwich inside the cafe.
          So I walked to the public library and sat outside and tried to connect to the internet. Another failure.
           Finally I came inside (where I currently am) and tried to continue watching the videos for the course but it keeps freezing like 4 minutes in. So now I'm just writing my thoughts because what else am I going to do until this next meeting in an hour? Well, I do have one idea. But I probably don't need to get in the habit of getting fro-yo every single time I'm downtown.

Next-

-Meeting to register for classes. Status: In one hour. I think I have them figured out. We have 2 required classes (Foundations of Neurobiology and Foundations of Neuropsychology), an optional molecular/cellular class which I may take, and then possibly space for one elective. Then we have lab rotations and research work on top of that. I am pumped though because I got approved to work in Michelle Voss's lab (who I've been talking to and hoping to work with since about February of this year) and I was also assigned an academic mentor and a grad student mentor as well. I was very pleased when the director said Melissa Duff (who I worked with last summer) could be my advisor and my student mentor is a girl I met during Interview week who is friendly, a little crazy, really fun and apparently quite successful and smart. So basically, I have a dream team of academic advisors/mentors/lab professors :)

After that meeting I will be done with meetings for the day so I'm going to head home and finish this online course (which has not worked at all in the twenty or so minutes that I've been sitting here writing this) and I think my roommates and I will rearrange our living room, because we now have an awesome couch!

Oh, speaking of my apartment, my 3rd roommate, Lauren, moved in yesterday. She was the one who originally found this apartment and then had a profile online that I found. She is incredibly nice (as is her family) and I'm thrilled I got so lucky with these two great roommates. All three of us seem to get along well already and I can't wait to hear how their first days today went also. Maybe I'll post some pictures of the apt once it gets finished.

I better head back to my bike so I can get to the other side of the river for my meeting. Happy Monday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment