Friday, August 3, 2012

Words from the dark...kind of. On the adventures of growing up and moving


Hello all!

I've been considering returning to the world of blogging for some time now. And now I figure, what more appropriate time could there be than this? This time being me on the cusp of adulthood, having just moved into my new apartment, off campus, at a new school, with my own bedroom and my very own new queen bed.....and no electricity. Good thing I charged up my computer before I left home this morning. I don't even have internet right now...so in what feels like a very 'old school' style, I am writing this on a "sticky note", which is mac's version of notepad. But it's more fun because you can change the colors and drag the boxes all over your screen wherever you want. This one is blue, if anyone was wondering, and it's a giant box in the middle of my screen overlapping my itunes. 
Now that we got the important stuff out of the way, let's talk about why I am sitting on my new bed, sweating like a pig, in the dark, ready to throw in the towel and go to bed at, let's see....10:04.  Wow, no wonder people got so much more sleep before indoor lighting. There's nothing else to do when it gets dark! So, like I said, I just moved in to my first big girl apartment today. It's in Iowa City, close to the stadium, in this kind of wooded area, right behind a gross green pond which has huge fish that look like gators. It's a beautiful apartment though. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a lovely kitchen, wooden floor dining room, living room and a delightful little balcony. I found this apartment by way of University of Iowa's online roommate finder and I am living with 2 girls who had already decided to lease this apt and were looking for a third. Much to my pleasure, after a few emails back and forth, they deemed me worthy and told me if I wanted the apt, they'd have me. I was thrilled and jumped at the chance right away. One of the roommates also moved in today. A very sweet girl from Minneapolis who attended Iowa State. So far I'm a huge fan. She likes adventuring, is very studious, likes to keep things clean, and has a great sense of humor and a get-it-done attitude (all this I can tell from meeting her twice and watching her haul all her stuff up our 3 flights of stairs). She also had a few good friends to help her...so at least I know she has friends :)  I haven't met the other roommate yet. She went to William and Mary and is originally from Virginia, near Washington DC. Ironically, my college roommate (and best friend) was also from that area. Lauren (roommate #2) is moving in on the 12th. Hopefully Katie (roommate #1) and I will have the apartment all settled in and looking spic and span by the time she gets here and brings her awesome huge couch (yay!!).  

Wait, back to why I have no power....When I signed the lease two weeks ago, the property manager had told me to just call the electrical company (Mid-american) a few days ahead of time to make sure they know what day service should start. So on Monday (two days ago) I give them a call and am told that the previous residents just had the service turned off, so in order for it to be turned back on, a service person will have to come flip the breaker. No problem...or so I think. "Which day are you moving in?" She asks. When I say Wednesday she says, "well, it appears out schedule is booked (eek!), but here, I can override it and give you an appointment time of 7 am-8pm. So, you'll just have to be at the residence to let the person in during all of that time. We can call 30 minutes ahead of time."  Well....I wasn't planning to move in until 10. I was not about to leave Newton at 5:30 in the morning to be here at 7 am "just in case" they could come then. And I probably wouldn't have even had a key. "Okay so maybe we can just make an appointment for Thursday," she says, when I explain the predicament. "Thursday is also full. It appears we have some times open on Friday."  Friday didn't seem quite soon enough for me to get ac, a fridge, hot water and a lit kitchen so we finally agree to do the 7am-8pm thing on Thursday. That means that sometime tomorrow, don't know when, we will get electricity back! I do have to leave at 11 am to go meet my new advisor/professor/lab rotation (which will inevitably be the subject of the next blog post), but besides that I guess I will be keeping myself busy in my hot, dark apartment.   While I am talking about the whole power deal, I have to give a shout out to the graduation gift that allowed me to shower this evening. Mike and Ginny (family friends) bought me the most adorable bathroom accessories set. It's all rubber ducky themed and I'm in love with it. I have a shower curtain, towels, a duck with umbrella toothbrush holder and a duck soap dispenser. Along with a few just-for-funsies duckies, two of which light up. Who would've guessed how handy those would be for my very dark (and very cold) shower. It was nice little ambiance lighting :)  Oh and I hadn't hung my shower curtain up, so it really was an interesting shower. Thank you Mike and Ginny, for making it possible for me to not go to bed in my nice new bed all stinky and sweaty. It was truly a treat :)  

I will probably go to sleep soon (what else can I do without power??) but I will first say that I am comfortable and happy in this lovely new apartment, and it's all thanks for my mama, Abby and Kyle. Mom drove the explorer to IC for me, all loaded up with my furniture and other essentials and then helped haul stuff up the stairs. She even packed us a fun lunch that we ate picnic-style on the living room floor. Abby and Kyle drove from Waverly (their new home) and helped unload and transfer all of my stuff. I sincerely could not have gotten some of it without Kyle's muscles and it was also just nice to have the two of them see where I'm living and help figure out how to organize my room. I'm glad I am not living too far away from them- and I hope they come visit me often (hint hint ;)  

I think I'll call it a night now. I'm hoping my phone doesn't die before morning so my alarm will be able to go off, otherwise I'll probably wake up to the sun. Another cold shower in the morning, perhaps? Thanks for reading my first post as I'm returning to the blogosphere (that is most definitely not a real word...but I think that's allowed when blogging, haha)  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment