Friday, January 28, 2011

Culture Shock: Absorbed

Go Danmark! I am currently watching the handball game between Denmark and Espana. It is the semi finals so as my host family says 'It's a really big deal!  Kind of like the superbowl of handball'. I am contently sitting here drinking tea and listening to Andreas (my host brother) and his friends exclaim from the other room with each goal (Ayyy if it's the other team, Yeah!! if it's our goal). We are ahead right now, but its only 10 minutes into the game, so we'll see!

I got to play badminton again this evening with Karina (host mom) and another couple.  They all said I'm getting better :)  I'm actually thinking of joining a badminton team with a sports club in Copenhagen.  I already tried soccer and decided it wasn't quite right, so maybe badminton is where it's at.

So here is how I decided soccer wasn't for me.  I really wanted a way to get out and meet people but not be super competitive (highly unlikely for me, but I thought I would give it a try).   I met a few other girls who were going to join this soccer club and they encouraged me to sign up, so I did.  I played soccer when I was younger on a team and again during recess nearly every day so I figured I could at least fake it and have fun.  Well...turns out all the DIS girls who came played competitively in highschool and/or college. Uh oh. We left from the DIS main building shortly after 6pm and all took the metro to Christianshavn (a neighborhood on the island of Amger), then we walked what felt like 100 miles in the dark cold to the fields.  I thought I was fairly prepared with my tennis shoes, shorts, and Prairie Fire tennis tshirt.  Well, as we were changing clothes in the locker room I realized two things. #1: I look nothing like a soccer player and #2: we would be playing outside.  Oh.  That was unfortunate. I put on my light sweater that is not made for exercising and my cute mittens and followed everyone to the field. About 10 minutes into this practice I wasn't even sure I had legs anymore.  We did a few drills that were completely unknown to me and I am happy to report I did actually make a few goals! But although it was nice to run around a bit, I honestly could not wait for the hour and a half to be over. For the last 20 minutes or so we split up into teams and played a real game.  I felt rather sorry for the poor girls who had me on their team.  I ended up as a defender, which wasn't too bad until my teammates start yelling all sorts of things that apparently should have told me where to run, who to cover, ect ect. I had no idea what they meant so I felt like a chicken flailing about without a head. On the bright side, one of the girls who knew I wasn't really a soccer playing told me I was doing a pretty good job of holding my own.  Even though I did end up enjoying the final game I was very happy when we were finally told to bring it in.  I stood by my motto (if I have the opportunity to do something, I will try it at least once) and I am pleased I made it through without bursting into tears (believe me, I was close a few times), but in the end it turns out soccer here just isn't my calling.

Let's see, the second thing I wanted to write about was what I miss from home.  Random items pop into my head every day while I'm riding the train, sitting in the lounge with my lunch, or drinking my nightly cup or tea. So far I have made this mental list:
Wheel of Fortune dinners with my parents  (when we sit by the fire and watch Pat and Vanna while eating dinner)
Swedish fish
Cheap candy (there is basically a junk food tax here--which I think is a great idea until I have a hankering for peanut m&ms or a twix bar-- both of which they have here but they are very expensive!)
Cappuccino that is sweet and not simply coffee and milk (even that still costs the equivalent of $4 here!)
Being able to text my sister or my friends whenever I want-- it's nice not always being attached to a phone, but it is so hard not being able to text people whenever I want.
Zumba!! I miss Zumba so much. There is a class at PalmFitness but I have not been able to make it yet.  I desperately need some latin rhythms in my life
Those are the main ones for right now-- so on the other side of the spectrum, there are also lots of things I absolutely love about Denmark so far. Here goes:
My host family-- it's easier not to be homesick when you have such a lovely home to stay in :)
My host kitty

The plethora of tasty pastries and bakeries from which to get said pastries

Babies in adorable snowsuits
(I'm sorry that is sideways, I cant figure out how to turn it. Can you see that adorable striped suit??)

Shops along nearly every street with fashionable (and very expensive) clothes sitting out in front to peruse or simply gawk at as I'm walking by

Amazing architecture: both the gorgeous old buildings and the new modern ones


The simplicity of Danish design; white walls often with black or grey furniture, modernist artwork, basic and funky stools and chairs, lots of windows, ect. Basically most of what I've seen so far looks like it came right from Ikea- it's awsome.
Being able to walk around the city both by myself just for fun and with at least 3 of my 6 classes for actual academic reasons
Cafe tables being out even with snow on the ground (for the brave who might want to eat dinner with hats and gloves on, though I have yet to see something like that)
Constantly being within 10 or so minutes from either a royal castle or another old, important building
Momentary update: The handball game is now 23-22. YIKES!
Anyway, there are so many things I love about being here and I imagine that list will continue to grow everyday
Oh and another thing I love about Denmark isn't actually about Denmark...but I love how much I get to skype with Hannah (my cousin who is studying in Scotland right now) We constantly share our stories with each other and it is just comforting having a friend/relative only a country and some water away from me

I know I said I also wanted to talk more about Danish architecture but this post is pretty long already so I will save that for another day.
DENMARK WON!!! What a close game! That was very exciting-- now they will play on Sunday in the final against France! I will definitely have to watch that one too.  It's the first time they have made it to finals in 40-some years!
Oh yes, tomorrow I am headed to Roskilde for a "Vikings and Kings" day trip. There is a cathedral where lots of kings and queens are buried and a Viking museum.  I'll have to bundle up and charge my camera.
And just a heads-up: my first study tour is coming up on Thursday! We will be heading to Western Denmark (Jutland) for lots of academic and cultural experiences. So I'm sure there will be a few long (and hopefully exciting) posts in the near future!
Until later- hej hej!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh babies in snowsuits!! So. Cute. I love when I'm walking around about 3:00 pm and there are all the little British babes walking home from school in their uniforms telling their mums all about their days. Also, the picture of the cat is hilarious. Also, after we skyped and I went to the gym there were tons of people playing badminton and it made me smile and think of you again :-)

    ReplyDelete