Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The most exciting news yet: I have a host family!!

Yesterday I got an email from my host family: Jesper, Karina, Andreas and Rebecca Larsen.  I don't think I have ever been quite so thrilled about an email :)  I grabbed my computer, slid my way into the kitchen (tile floors and socks make for good sliding) and excitedly read the email to my mom, dad and sister.
The Larsen's sound wonderful!  Andreas is 11 and Rebecca is 9 and they all play various sports.  Rebecca swims (just like me!) and does horsebackriding. Andreas play soccer and tabletennis.  My dad is a rather avid table tennis player so when I read that part I think he started trying to figure out how he could go instead of me, haha.  I'm not sure exactly which neighborhood the Larsen's live in, but I will have about a 30 minute commute by bus or train to DIS, which is in the center of Copenhagen.  I've never actually gotten to commute before so I'm really looking forward to it.  It'll give me some time to read, write and see more of Denmark.  This will be only my second real experience with public transportation (I rode the metra a few times in Chicago) so I'm anxious to see what it's like!

Andreas and Rebecca are learning English; I bet I can help them with that while they help me with Danish!  Every time I try to speak Danish in my mind, I come up with Spanish words instead.  There must be a "foreign language" part of the brain and right now it is overpowered with espanol.  Hopefully that will change soon!  I do know how to say thank you in Danish though-- tak. And thank you very much-- Mange tak.
Once I get all of my summer internship applications done today or tomorrow I will spend a lot more time learning phrases and such.

Back to my host family, they have a cute cat named Tiger.  I will have to send them a picture of my cat, Scooter soon :)  Also, I was surprised and pleased to read that I will have wireless internet in my room.  I would've been happy to be in a house without it, but it will be very nice to be able to check email, skype with my fam and friends and write on my blog from the house.
All in all, I could not be happier about my upcoming experience and I'm very excited to meet the Larsen family in just 11 days!!

1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHH Rachie you leave soon! I can't wait for you to be closer to me hahaha! I am super duper pumped for our rampage around Europe!

    ReplyDelete