Saturday, January 22, 2011

Time flies when you're busying having the time of your life in Europe



             My first day of classes picture.  I'm just practicing adding pictures so when I have more exciting ones to show you I will know what I'm doing :)


             I have been here 6 days and although it has gone by in the blink of an eye, it also feels like forever ago when I hopped off the plane last Sunday morning.  I have now had two days of classes and I honestly love all of them so far.  On Thursday I had my first Danish language and culture class and European Urban Design Theories.  Dansk (Danish) was quite fun and I learned how to say who I am, where I am from, where I'm living in Denmark and what I am studying.  I love that I get to practice with my family.  Rebecca and I worked on the alphabet after dinner one evening and I got to look at a fun little children's book with pictures.  I keep saying all the letters in my head so I think I am getting better each day!  Here is a taste of danish:  Jeg bor med en dansk familie i Bagsværd.  And here is how I think that phrase actually sounds "Yi bore meth en dansk familia e boughs ver."  Haha, it is difficult, but I am so glad I'm learning it.  Jesper  (yespa), my host dad, told me that if I can learn all the numbers 1-100 in danish before I leave there will be a prize. I will get to work on that soon.  Back to classes...so after danish I had a break for lunch, which I spent in a student lounge happily eating my smørrebrød and clementines, then I went to European Urban Design Theories and felt a little out of place being the only psychologist in a room of architects and urban design majors.  We talked about how the layout of Copenhagen came about- it started as a fortified city and when it started to expand, the neighborhoods were named after the directions: Nørreport, Østerport, and Vesterport  (North, East and West)  South is where the harbor was...but now there is the island of Amger (am-ah)...which is nicknamed shit island because they used to use it as a landfill.  Nice danish facts, right?  Anyway, after our lecture, we went on a walking tour of the city.  It was gorgeous, but will be even more so in the spring so that is when I plan to take lots of picture and post them for your visual enjoyment.

        On Friday I had Positive Psychology and then Sustainability in Austrian Architecture.  This psych class is fascinating and I actually wish we had it more often than twice a week.  I am looking forward to our study trips with that class.  Our first one is in less than 2 weeks!  On the 3rd we will head to Western Denmark (Jutland) for a few days.  Our first "assignment" in that class is to write down 3 things each day that made us happy.  They can be small things someone else did or just a thought that crossed my mind.  It's just a little happiness booster to work on over the next 7 days. I'll let you know if I am suddenly much happier :)

         In my Austrian Architecture class I again felt out of place, but the teacher seemed really happy that a psychologist was in the class.  He said it will be good to have many different areas to pull from for the discussions.  I am so excited about that class and our trip to Voralberg, Austria at the beginning on April.

         After my successful classes on Friday I ate lunch and got some readings from the library (which I have yet to do this weekend), then I went to PalmFitness for my first workout there.  I even braved the scary free weights room where the big muscly guys were.  After I got back from the city, Karina, Jesper and I went with one of their friends to play badminton. I wasn't very good at first but it was actually a lot of fun! It was a nice way to unwind after the crazy week.  I even got better at "smashing" the birdie, which is similar to smashing a tennis ball, but even more fun because the birdie rarely goes out of bounds.

       I ended my Friday night at the DIS welcome party at a club downtown. The first few hours were only for DIS students so it was very American. American music, American dancing. It was ok but nothing special.  Later on, the Danes came and I have to say, that was way more fun.  I met a few Danes, danced to some Danish music and made it home safely on the night bus.  It was overall a good city nightlife experience.
      
             Today was spent sleeping in (oops!), having brunch with homemade rolls, butter and rhubarb jam, cleaning my room and taking my first trip to Ikea! I bought a few small things for my room and drooled over the beautiful room designs.  And now I am home waiting to skype with my family!  This will be the first time I have seen or talked to them since I left, although we have been emailing and facebooking.  As much as I love it here, I definitely miss them and am anxious to see their smiles :)    Oh, tomorrow is my host brother Andreas's birthday brunch.  The house will soon be full of family and lots and lots of food!  I will probably sit at my computer tomorrow in a food coma and attempt to write about my first Danish birthday celebration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment