Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tillykke med du fødselsdag Andreas! ---- Happy Birthday Andreas! (or more literally, congratulations on your day of birthday, Andreas!)

Today was my host brother's birthday; he turned 12 (tolv in dansk).  I was able to ask him this morning "Hvor gammel er du?" (How old are you) To which I think he responded "Jeg er tolv, og du?"  (I am 12, and you?)  I fumbled my way through "Enogtyve" (1 and 20). Thankfully they understood and helped me pronounce it.  Backing up just a little...Sunday we had family and friends over for brunch in celebration and it was awesome! There was a smorgasboard of rolls, pancakes (American pancakes!), fruit of all kinds, yogurt and granola, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon, lox (cold salmon fillet), various cheeses and cold sausage, cupcakes, smoothies and juice.  Oh my goodness it was amazing.  I should have taken a picture. Plates covered the ledge beneath the window and the coffee table in the living room.  As I began eating, Jesper (my host dad) offered me a bottle and pointed towards a very small glass by my plate.  I sort of thought it was syrup until he said "Yeagermeister. Do you have that in America?  It's alcohol. Would you like some?"  Keep in mind it was 11:45 in the morning... So of course I said Sure!  You'll probably hear this again, but my motto for now is 'If I have the opportunity to do something, I might as well try it, at least once'.  (Don't worry, this only goes for good, morally sound experiences that my mother would approve of. Although I am not sure she would completely approve of the yeager at 11 in the morning but you get my point)  I like to think I took that shot like a champ but actually the nice man sitting next to me offered to finish it off for me when he realized I had taken only a few rather small sips.  I think I still need a few weeks to work up a more Danish tolerance of alcohol.  After we finished eating we sat around the table and talked and talked and talked for at least an hour or two. Well...they talked and talked and talked and I listened to their rapid Danish and tried to pull out words I knew while I smiled at the right times and laughed when they did, but really had no idea what was going on.  Every once in a while they would translate for me and summarize the conversation, which I greatly appreciated.  I am learning Danish as fast as I can but so far I'm only up to basic conversations and the number 20.  I'm glad most Danes understand and don't get too annoyed.  Anyway, after the very hyggeligt Sunday afternoon...(have I mentioned hygee before?  I'll go into more detail later but it basically means a cozy time with food and friends)..so after Sunday we had lots of delicious leftovers just waiting to be packed up for my lunch yesterday and then today was Andreas's actual birthday.  This morning we all woke up extra early and snuck into Andreas's room where we woke him up by singing the Danish birthday song and waving the Danish flag. Apparently this is a very common tradition-- and a fun one if I may say so myself! I had to just listen and smile with the Danish song, but to my surprise they sang the American song too! We had a lovely breakfast and Andreas opened his presents, which consisted mostly of money to go towards his XBox 3 fund, some toys from his sister and the book The Giver and some American money from me so he can buy a souvenir when they go to New York this summer (I recommended the Statue of Liberty crown hat). 
I was able to come home from the city around 3 today and this evening we had a fancy dinner with a smaller group of family and friends.  Then, this is my favorite part, we had birthday cake. It was this wonderful concoction called Layer Cake. It was light, fluffy dough in 2 (or maybe 3) layers with fluffy filling and crushed up cookies layered with bananas, grape slices and the Danish equivalent of chocolate chips (which actually look like flattened American chocolate chips).  It was delicious!  I may have to request this for my birthday next November when I am back home. After cake we had tea and just chatted about all sorts of things.  I think this was one of the most relaxing Tuesday evenings I have had in a long time.  I am so pleased Andreas was born today, 12 years ago, so we could celebrate :)   I have much more to talk about, but I should get to bed soon so I will post again in the next few days.  Here is a summary of things to come:  my attempt at soccer, things I miss from home, some in depth info about Danish architecture (both from my class and from experience) and my favorite things about Denmark so far.  Until next time...hej hej!

No comments:

Post a Comment