Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rachel goes on a Louisiana adventure : )


Ok, so I know it was a little dorky but sometimes I just like the words that I think up more than the words I decide to write into this blog so I thought I'd give it a try.  Anyway, here is the rest of the story of that day:
I rode my bike from my house in Bagsvaerd to the Klampenborg train station about 13ish km away.  I stopped briefly at the Dyrehaven (deer park) and Bakken (old amusement park) just to walk through a bit.  There is no entrance fee into the park, you only have to pay if you want to ride rides or eat delicious food, so that meant I got to walk around in the park and I was the only person in there because it wasn't open yet.  That is quite the experience, walking around rides, games, food stands and it all seems frozen in time because there is absolutely no activity.  It was also way more peaceful than an amusement park ever should be.  

Anyway, I went to the train station and bought my ticket to take the Regional train up to Humblebaek, where Lousiana is.  I had my bike with me and since I take my bike on the S-tog all the time for free, I figured this train would be free for my bike also.  I found out the hard way that it is not.  The ticket lady asked for my ticket so I showed it to her and then she said "And your bike?"  I probably looked like a total tourist then because I said "You mean it's not free the way it is on the s-tog?"  Nope. Definitely not.  So she says "You can just hop off at the next stop, but a bike ticket and get on the next train."  Okay, that doesn't sound too tough. Too bad the next station was a small one in the middle of nowhere (although it did have a beautiful view of the beach) and it took me ten minutes to even find the ticket machine to buy a bike ticket and then the next train didn't come for half an hour.  Ah well. It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed some time taking artsy fartsy photos of my (borrowed) bike.  And taking goofy pictures of me to document the adventure:
The very sought after bike ticket
I finally made my way to the museum and enjoyed the wonderful weather as I wandered around the sculptures.





Secret little bridge in the lake garden area that I explored 

I was just pretty darn happy


The inside section of the Lousiana had a special exhibit on Picasso. I was unable to take any photos inside since it was so special but it was all about peace and freedom and how he was involved in fighting for these.  There was also a super awesome exhibit called "Me draw on I-pad" by the artist David Hockney.  He literally drew hundreds (if not thousands) of pictures on the ipad drawing app and the exhibit had a bunch of ipads, ipods and large projected screens displaying the pictures.  There apparently is also a way to watch the drawing as it happened in fast-forward. So for a few of the drawings you could watch in high speed how he drew it.  I think that was my favorite section of the museum.

After I spent enough time in there I went down to the beach, where I got the brilliant idea to record a video blog. And lucky you, thanks to my brilliant (and dorky) idea, you have gotten to experience the area just as I did...or at least almost as I did :P   Then I hopped on my bike again and rode down Strandenvej (beach road).  I decided to ride as far as I could so I wouldn't have to pay for the extra transportation.  I probably rode about 15 km before I decided to hop on the train, not because I was exhausted but because I wanted to make it home for dinner.  I rode the train for two stops and then I went back to Bakken for some cotton candy, as a reward for adventuring on my own.  For those of you who don't know I am a little bit addicted to cotton candy.  I don't know exactly why I love it so much but I do...probably because I have a gigantic sweet tooth and cotton candy is just sugar and air.  Anyway, I got the biggest thing of cotton candy I have ever seen! And that is saying something because I have seen a lot of cotton candy! Check it out


And of course it took me only about ten minutes to devour that massive amount of candy floss (the danish term for cotton candy), which I did while I sat and watched the log ride splash down and soak each and every one of its passengers.  

And then it was time to bike back to good ol' Bagsvaerd.  It was a beautiful ride on paved roads the whole way but with forests and fields on both sides of the roads most of the way, which is a much different feel than city biking.  

So that was my Louisiana adventure! Back with more in a bit : )

No comments:

Post a Comment