Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The whirlwind that has been my last week in Copenhagen

My last full week in Copenhagen started off with a day in Tivoli, which I wrote about in the last blog.  I cannot get over what a beautiful place the whole area is.  Not only is Tivoli an amusement park, but it also is many, many gardens and also a stage for entertainment and a lovely lawn to relax on.  While we were there, after we had enjoyed some ice cream, we sat and watched a bunch of bands perform.  The really cool thing is that they were all under 18 years old...and most of them were really good!! Here is just one example :)

 Sorry for the extraneous singing and laughing, I was really enjoying the song :)

We stayed in Tivoli until all the beautiful lights were lit up.  That is probably the most beautiful night scene I have ever seen.  Sorry I couldn't capture it with my camera.

The next day was when I left for Oslo.  Before the trip I sat in the cutest coffee shop ever and wrote some of the previous posts, which I may have mentioned as I wrote them.  And I already posted about the cruise so that brings us to Thursday, when I returned from Oslo.  I did not mention how much dancing we did on the cruise ship on our last night....A LOT!  Therefore, I was very tired when I returned to CPH.  BUT I also had more adventures in store so I took a short nap and then headed into the city.  I met a friend of mine and we embarked on a big bike trip, down to Arken, a museum of modern art.  It is about 20 km from the city and it took us a little while to navigate all the turns but we made it, sweaty and happy, in a little over an hour.

The museum was awesome!! Of all the museums I have been to during my whole trip, this was probably my favorite.  
The actual museum building is an example of deconstructivist design.  It is supposed to resemble a shipwreck.  with a long skinny main hallway and then lots of oddly shaped rooms jumbled onto both sides of the building. It is very open and light, but also a little mysterious and confusing.  Super cool.  

This piece of art has dead butterflies plastered onto different colored paintings.  It is a rather touching work about life and death and the beauty of both of them.  

Also butterflies. 

It was hard to capture how awesome this was but it was a pool of water with a light in the middle.  When the water moves and makes waves, the waves are reflected on the white walls surrounding the pool.  Chau (my friend) and I had a blast messing with the water and watching the cool designs it made on the wall. 

Abstract art by the Danish artist Asger Jorn.  He painted a huge mural all across multiple walls of a summer house and later they took it apart and moved it to the museum.

Pastel drawing by a famous artist...ME
hehe.  At the end of an exhibition about a woman who worked mainly with pastels, there was a room where you could try making your own.  Chau did a lovely sketch of me and I attempted to portray a sunset over the ocean, inspired by the previous day's cruise.



I ended up riding my bike with Chau part of the way back to the city and then I hopped on a train and took it all the way home so I could get there in time for dinner.  Despite the fact that I was exhausted after this, it was a really awesome trip.  Arken, I think, is a must see if you are ever in Copenhagen and enjoy modern art at least a little.

The following day, Friday, I met up in the city with my friend Delayna.  We did some shopping and I found the perfect souvenir for myself (I may have also found some good ones for some other people but those are a surprise!)  My sister would be so proud-- I found a jacket I absolutely loved.  It is a great spring or fall jacket and it looks at least a little grown-up, rather than most of my clothes that look like they come right out of American Eagle (because they do).  It was a little expensive but I know I will wear it all the time AND it is from a brand that we do not have in America.  So I bought it!!  And I am so happy I did.
Anyways, Delayna and I both were very pleased with our finds so we went to lunch and then we took the train out to Klampenborg...which is the same place I road my bike to the day I went up to Louisiana, remember?  It is the place with the deer park and the very old amusement park, Bakken.  We wanted to make the most out of our bikes while we have them so we went on a long bike ride around the beautiful park.  It was a little difficult to navigate because it had just rained and most of the paths we went on were not paved, but it was worth it because we saw at least 50 deer.  I have never seen such a sight.  I tried to capture it on my capture but I am afraid these don't do it justice.





Oops, off to lunch now, back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment